Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Truth That Is Changing Me

Are you a humble person? I think that most of us, if completely honest, would have to say that we are not so humble. Yet God obviously values humility greatly. Isaiah 66:2 says, "But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word." I have been challenged recently both by God's Word and also by the book, Humility, by C.J. Mahaney. Mahaney defines humility as "honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness." That's a good definition. In his book, he brings out the fact that you can love God's Word, love Christ and His sacrifice on the cross, and even believe in the importance of relationships and yet not have humility. Unbelievable, isn't it? The truth of the importance of humility is changing me, both in my heart and in my actions. As I have studied Mark 9-10, where the disciples proudly discussed who was the greatest, I've found some characteristics of one who is growing in humility. One characteristic is that he is less argumentative, unlike the disciples who argued about who the greatest was. The reason he is less argumentative is because he has a less opinion of himself. This happens as he trembles at who God is in holiness and who he is in sinfulness. In having a less opinion of self, this liberates him to serve others more frequently, because he "counts others more significant" than himself (Phil. 2:3). Living my life in remembrance of God's mercy has changed me. Reminding myself that I deserve nothing from God, except eternal separation from Him in hell, has changed my daily walk. It has removed arguments from my heart and lips. It has changed my opinion of self to a more true Biblical one. It has enabled me to serve others with a pure and joyful heart. This truth has helped me to "walk humbly with my God" (Micah 6:8), and this is what He requires.

JT

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I just read that book last month, and found it very convicting and thought provoking. Good reflections on Mark -- so true that we will be less argumentative! I usually argue to save my pride. . .

Good blog, guys. Don't know if I told you that before. Hope you keep posting even after the big exodus.

~Gretchen