Monday, November 10, 2008

Spying Out the Land of Floripa

This morning as I contemplated the thought of taking the Gospel to this city of Florianopolis, I felt overwhelmed. I felt incapable of such a great task. God, in His sovereign wisdom, led me to read Numbers 13, on spying out the land of Canaan. The story is well known. 10 spies come back saying that it is a good land, but there are giants in the land. 2 spies, Joshua and Caleb, agree to these facts but have more to say. Notice the difference in what these 2 groups actually said.
The 10 spies said, "We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we are." (v.31)

Caleb said, "Let us go up at once and occupy it, for we are well able to overcome it." (v.30)

So, what is the big difference between Caleb's response and the other men's? At first, it may seem like Caleb had more self-confidence than the 10 men. Maybe they had low self-esteem. I don't believe that is the case though. I believe that Caleb's confidence came from knowing who God is and believing in Him. The other men's lack of confidence came from ignoring who God is and not believing Him. The spies were right in saying that the giants in the land were stronger than they, but they were focusing on the wrong thing--themselves. Here are 3 things the Lord impressed upon my heart today from this story:

1. There is a self confidence in doing a BIG JOB which amounts to pride.
I need to be aware of this and careful not have this attitude. I have noticed many times in ministry how I seem to trust in my ability to get things done.

2. There is a lack of confidence in God which leads to a lack of action.
Many people are so afraid of BIG JOBS (like evangelism or missions), they never try anything for God and His glory. They are missing out on great blessings, I believe.

3. There is a right sense of confidence which says, "We are well able to do this in the ability of God."

I don't know about my brother David, but there are many times in my life when I do not feel "able" to do the task that God has called me to do here in Brazil, and possibly in Florianopolis someday. I am encouraged today by this story to be confident that I am "well able" in the ability of my Omnipotent God.

I look forward to "spying out the land" of Florianopolis with David next month. Pray for us that we would "be of good courage".

JT



3 comments:

James and Christen said...

Thanks for the great insight! Can I follow you as you follow God?

How much more exciting it seems when we are trusting in His power rather than in ours.

I love you - Christen

David and Sharon Taylor said...

Hey Bro.

Great post - I too am excited. May God give us discernment and wisdom and patience to way for His leading.

Rachel said...

James,
Thanks for the incredible post! It sounds so exciting. I will definitely be visiting ya'll when you move there.