Saturday, October 25, 2008

All or Nothing

I just started reading through the book of Numbers in my devos. I cannot say that I was jumping up for joy to begin with. Numbers is one of those books of the Bible that you put off reading usually. However, I had made a Bible reading plan a few months back, and this was my next book to read. I thank God for making His Word alive and powerful to me. Here is just what I have learned in chapter 1 and 2.

Both chapters entail God giving Moses some specific command which may seem a bit too detailed and tiring. The first chapter contains the command to number all the men who were of fighting age. (20 years or older). Chapter 1 tells us exactly how many men were counted from each tribe. (603,550) The second chapter is a command of how they are to arrange the camps of all the people. Obviously, they do it by tribes and the Levites camp in the middle of all the people with the tabernacle.

What challenged my heart was the response of the people to God and His commands. Both chapter 1 and 2 end with the same phrase:
"Thus did the people of Israel; they did according to all that the Lord commanded Moses" (1:54;2:34)

This may not seem that important to you, but I believe that it was important to God and it should be important to us. Despite these seemingly trivial commands, the people obeyed all that God commanded them to do. Why was this important to God and why should it be important to us, to do according to all that the Lord commands us?
  1. God's commands are for our greatest good.
Taking a census of all of Israel was preparing Moses and the people to be ready for the battles that were ahead of them. Imagine Moses and the people marching off to war without knowing their number exactly and having a battle plan.

2. God's commands obeyed ensure His presence in our lives.

This may seem wrong to say, since God is omnipresent, as the Bible clearly teaches. I believe God is present everywhere, but not His presence of blessing. I even believe He is present in Hell, not to bless, but to punish. He specifically commanded Israel how the people were to encamp and march. The Levites along with the tabernacle, which I believe represented God's presence, were supposed to encamp in the middle of all the tribes and march in the middle as well (2:17). If they chose to disobey what seemed like an unimportant detail of God's command, they were hindering God's presence of blessing in their lives.

This last truth greatly challenged me. I see myself constantly asking for God's blessing on my ministry, my family, and personal issues. However, there are many times when I am not doing all that the Lord has commanded me to do. I want God's blessing in my life. I want to have personal victories over certain addictions. I want to lead people to Christ. I want my ministry at church to grow numerically and spiritually. BUT I do not want to obey Him in all things. I want Him at my terms. What I believe God is saying to my heart today is that if I really want Him in my life, I must accept His commands as well. If I refuse to accept His commands, I lose the power, the blessing of a powerful, wise, loving God. It is All or Nothing--all His blessing and commands or none of them.

JT

No comments: