Friday, March 7, 2008

Conversion vs. Discipleship

In preparation for a sermon on discipleship, I was convicted by its true meaning. Discipleship has become a bit of a glamorous word right at the top with Conversion. But there seems to be a disconnect between these words. It sounds like this: "Now that he has been converted, we need to disciple him". This has been my understanding of these ideas for years. One follows the other one, but never had I stopped to think that there is a strong connect between the two.

Luke 9:23-26

23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Conversion begins at the moment that we understand the basis for discipleship - self denial, as we see in this text. I was listening to a message by John MacArthur in which he addresses the "starting principle of discipleship" - Self Denial. Jesus says you want to come after me - you come on my terms and that means the opposite of what you think. MacArthur says: "Discipleship is not about self-fulfillment, it is about self-denial. It's not about exalting me, it is about slaying me". This is what must take place at conversion, and this is what must follow conversion. Sharon found an ad on Craigslist that depicts many in our churches today who are seeking self-fulfillment. Read it here. Lord help me to die to self today in the same way Christ took up His cross for me.

This saint of old had it right:

Lord, high and holy, meek and lowly,

Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,

where I live in the depths but see Thee in the heights;

hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold Thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox that

the way down is the way up,

that to be low is to be high,

that the broken heart is the healed heart,

that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,

that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,

that to have nothing is to possess all,

that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,

that to give is to receive,

that the valley is the place of vision.

Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells,

and the deeper the wells the brighter Thy stars shine;

let me find

Thy light in my darkness,

Thy life in my death,

Thy joy in my sorrow,

Thy grace in my sin,

Thy riches in my poverty,

Thy glory in my valley.

1 comment:

James and Christen said...

Hey bro.,
Great Biblical truth! I had to read it through a couple of times to grasp its full meaning, but it has changed my mind concerning when discipleship starts. The article that Sharon found is RIDICULOUS! It definitely proves your point. Yesterday in our pastor's meeting, one pastor commented that some of the youth in his church are complaining that the intercambios are always the same, that they always know what to expect. While I endorse creativity, it seems as if these young people simply want to be entertained and self-fulfilled.
Great blog. praying for your support!
James